December 30, 2010
December 25, 2010
‘Alarming’ number still drink and drive: survey Montreal Gazette – Many Canadians take a “do as I say, not as I do” approach to drinking and driving, according to survey results released yesterday.
Tipsy? Call BCAA Burnaby Now
December 22, 2010
Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end,
A Surrey Mountie has been charged with breach of trust for trafficking marijuana, possession of property obtained by crime and more than a dozen weapons offences. Const. David Clarke, 35, an RCMP member for 4 ½ years, was charged late Monday with 15 offences, including breach of trust for trafficking marijuana, possession of stolen marijuana and possession of various identification documents obtained by crime, the RCMP said Tuesday. He is also accused of possessing a number of unlicensed weapons, including a Glock 9-mm handgun, a Colt semiautomatic handgun, a Remington Mohawk semi-automatic rifle, an FN FAL semi-automatic rifle, a Mossberg pump-action shotgun and semi-automatic ammunition cartridges capable of holding more than 10 bullets, an alleged prohibited device. Clarke is also among a number of officers being sued, along with the B.C. solicitor-general, by Travis Bader, the owner of a Delta firearms training business. Bader says he was treated like a criminal and subjected to two years of “personal abuse” by police, resulting in 10 unfounded charges against him that were stayed by the Crown earlier this year. Clarke is also facing an internal disciplinary hearing stemming from the criminal allegations. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mountie+faces+criminal+charges/4012317/story.html
December 21, 2010
MONTREAL – Eight Quebec companies and five employees were charged Tuesday with bid-rigging amid allegations that they colluded on $8 million worth of contracts to install heating and air-conditioning systems in five new Montreal condominium highrises. The Competition Bureau laid 27 criminal charges after a major five-year investigation that may fuel renewed calls for a public inquiry into the seemingly endless corruption of Quebec’s infamous construction sector. “The companies charged today are accused of inflating the cost of their goods and services, depriving consumers of the benefits of honest competition, including competitive prices.” The bureau said its probe started in 2005 thanks to a tip from a former employee of one of the eight companies charged. A bureau spokeswoman refused to identify the tipster.The heating and air-conditioning companies were charged for secretly co-ordinating bids between 2003 and 2005 to rig or pre-determine winners of the contracts for five major condo highrises, while blocking out honest competitors, according to the bureau.
If guilty, the companies and employees face court fines and up to 14 years in prison.
The bureau said its evidence includes thousands of documents that were seized during 14 different raids and includes interviews with numerous witnesses.
Criminal bid-rigging boosts construction costs on projects by up to 20% , bureau officials said, citing research studies.
WHO WAS CHARGED?
The companies and their employees charged include:
1. Garanteed Industries Ltd. & Houmam Nashar, bid estimator (4 counts each)
2. Les Entreprises Promécanic ltée. & Joel Perreault, a bid estimator (3 counts each)
3. Entreprises de Ventilation Climasol Inc. & president Roch Raby (2 counts each)
4. Lys Air Mecanic Inc. & France Sergerie, a vice-president (2 counts each)
5. Groupe SCV Inc. & president François Lemay (1 count each)
6. Kolostat Inc. (1 count)
7. Ventilation G.R. Inc. (1 count)
8. Ventilex Inc. (1 count)
Which now reminds me when was the last time actually that a medical administrator, doctor, nurse, hospital worker was charged with criminal abuse of a sick person too?
Gastritis is a common medical problem. Up to 10% of people who come to a hospital emergency department with abdominal pain have gastritis and yet most hospitals still tend to respond very poorly to it. Why?
Helicobacter pylori is a type of bacteria that infects the stomach. Infection with this bacteria may lead to chronic gastritis. Doctors use several different types of method to treat H. Pylori infection. Most use a combination of two antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor. Sometimes bismuth (Pepto-Bismol) also is added to the mix. The antibiotic helps destroy the bacteria, and the acid blocker or proton pump inhibitor relieves pain and nausea, heals inflammation and may increase the antibiotic’s effectiveness.
The research, by experts at the University of Swansea, looked at admissions for upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding, which can be caused by a range of conditions including ulcers and gastritis.
It confirms other studies which show a higher chance of dying if a person is admitted to hospital on weekends.
In June, a review found that the death rate among NHS emergency admissions across England increased by 7% at weekends in 2005/06.
Experts said one reason was a lack of consultants and fewer specialist services available at the weekend, including diagnostic tests.
And last week, the Royal College of Physicians warned that patients are being left in the hands of junior doctors because of inadequate consultant cover on weekends.
Dr Stephen Roberts said: “The higher death rates for weekend and public holiday admissions could not be explained by differences in the patients admitted and may be down to reduced staffing levels or delays in investigative procedures such as endoscopy (an internal examination). It is very clear from our research that further studies are needed to understand why death rates are much higher at weekends and on public holidays than during the week.” http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gqXaAAjHmonAd8ZGciO3h-72mKCw?docId=N0054981291900032172A
December 19, 2010
Norovirus hits Sask. health facilities CBC.ca – Several health facilities in Saskatchewan, including a Saskatoon hospital, are under quarantine as officials try to stop an outbreak of norovirus.
Virus sees hospital close doors to visitors StarPhoenix
The department’s spending in 2011, according to the agglomeration budget approved yesterday, will be 5.1 per cent higher than last year’s spending. That’s well above the 3.2 per cent rise in inflation that the Conference Board of Canada predicts for the Montreal area in the new year.
And this large increase is part of a trend. Since 2006, the department’s spending has increased by 28 per cent -triple the inflation rate. Spending increase have thus averaged 6.9 per cent a year during this stretch. http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/todays-paper/Montreal+police+come+short+crime+busting/3997095/story.html
SADLY FOR DECADES THE POLICE IN MONTREAL TEND TO HAVE A BAD REPUTATION FOR BEING JUDGMENTAL, DISCRIMINATORY, RACISTS, DESPISING POOR PEOPLE, ABUSIVE AND YES THEY ARE FAR , FAR FROM PERFECT.. AND I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED WHY THE FEDERAL AND PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENTS HAVE WRONGFULLY TOLERATED IT. https://thenonconformer.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/for-decades/
Mountie faces 15 criminal charges Vancouver Sun – A Surrey Mountie has been charged with breach of trust for trafficking marijuana, possession of property obtained by crime and more than a dozen weapons offences.
Mountie faces 15 charges Metro Canada – Vancouver
BC cop charged with assault Toronto Sun
NANAIMO RCMP OFFICER FACING ASSAULT CHARGE C-FAX 1070
Nanaimo Mountie charged over on-duty assault complaint Nanaimo Daily News
Mountie charged with assault over party call Vancouver Sun – Dec 18, 2010A public complaint sparked both Criminal Code and RCMP code of conduct investigations. Crown counsel approved the charge against Veillette, a 39-year-old …
Mounties docked pay for sex misconduct Ottawa Citizen. Two Mounties have admitted to disgraceful conduct after it was revealed one was having sex while on duty with an aspiring female recruit and another officer was sending sexually explicit e-mails to a female intern.
After nearly six months, several videos and a showdown between Toronto’s police chief and a provincial watchdog that played out in front of the national media, an officer has been charged with beating a man during the G20 demonstrations. And ultimately, it was a lone policeman who identified Constable Babak Andalib-Goortani as one of the officers alleged to have injured Adam Nobody during his arrest last June, the Special Investigations Unit said. Critics said that Mr. Nobody’s case – one of the most closely-watched probes in the SIU’s 20-year history – showed that the police force is unable to compel its officers to help SIU investigate fellow officers. Now out of 16 officers identified as possibly being in the area during Mr. Nobody’s arrest at Queen’s Park, only one provided the agency with the information it required to lay a charge, prompting fresh questions from the injured man.“What I still don’t understand is how 12 police officers who were around me when I was arrested aren’t able to identify anyone,” Mr. Nobody said. “I hope that something can still be done about this.” http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/lone-policeman-identifies-colleague-charged-with-assault-in-g20-arrest/article1846707/
G20 protests: Don’t let charge be end of story.. There is a lesson in the laying of charges Tuesday against only one police officer in connection with the beating of a G20 protester: we don’t have to acquiesce when the authorities circle the wagons. Many allegations of police misconduct were made following the G20 summit in Toronto last June, where more than 1,000 people were arrested, most of them without charge. But in the immediate aftermath of the summit, officialdom excused and even lauded the police overreaction. Toronto City Council passed a motion commending “the outstanding work” of the police. Then councilor — now mayor — Rob Ford went further and said “our police were too nice.” The Toronto Police Services Board, which is supposed to exercise civilian oversight over the force, issued a press release thanking the police for “the manner in which they conducted themselves.” What happened on the weekend of June 26-27 in our city was not the fault of one police officer — or, for that matter, of one police chief. Plenty of others were involved, including the RCMP (who were in charge of security at the summit), the provincial government (which promulgated the so-called secret law expanding police powers), and Prime Minister Stephen Harper (who reportedly gave marching orders to senior bureaucrats to crack down hard on any protesters who got out of line). Various other small inquiries into the G20 summit are under way. But only a full public inquiry will get the answers we need on how things went so wrong that weekend. http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/article/910578–g20-protests-don-t-let-charge-be-end-of-story
20 armed bandits rob a bank. Later one person is arrested and charged with the offence. That’s good enough then? If the cops believe that nailing one sinner to the cross will restore public confidence and respect they are indeed as arrogant and stupid as everyone thinks they are. How about firing Police chief Blair? As well as the Ontario Justice Ministers. Now charging police officers and holding them to account when they commit crimes is long overdue. This is only a first step in restoring the public’s faith in our judicial system. Canada’s international standing has been given a black eye by our police officers. Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/21/toronto-nobody-siu.html
December 9, 2010
All of the governments, Canada wide are to blame for perpetuating the health-care mess, our bad health care systems
Even the Alberta Health Services – the super board created in 2008 to run the province’s health-care system – gobbles up billions of dollars, funnels it through layers and layers of managers and administrators, and gives whatever little is left over to caring for patients.
Visit the Montreal West lakeshore General Hospital penthouse and see the life of luxury the Hospital’s administrators workers work in.
Alberta Health Services has finally DECADES TOO LATE TOO upped the number of surgeries performed in the province so the announcement made still only represents a roughly two per cent bump. A drop in the bucket. “ I wonder if Jack Davis, former chair of the now defunct Calgary health region has to “wait’ for his $250,000 per year pension cheque, all for 6 years of dismal and sub-par performance on behalf of the region. Probably not. Stelmach just doesn’t get it,yes people are upset by the state of Alberta’s health care system, however what is upsetting them even more is the continued and seemingly ever continuing mishandling of the problem. ”The new procedures conducted throughout Alberta will include cancer, heart, knee and cataract surgeries. THE REST OF THE PROVINCES IN CANADA SHOULD ALSO FOLLOW THESE BASICS. Always make sure patients are funded first. Former premier Ralph Klein, after leaving office, admitted his biggest regret during his 14 years as premier was caving to the special interest groups and letting them derail his plans to reform health care. “ “Now convince me that you’re REALLY trying to provide services instead of merely responding to public pressure before another election. “ “ Its absolutely incredible the “new promises” that elected officials can make when in front of the firing squad with their jobs on the line and the sweat just pouring off their eyebrows…….ISN’T IT “ “ The problem here is that most of the 5,000 surgeries have already been announced. “The worst part of all of this is that they think Albertan’s are honestly this dense. It’s great that they think they can buy us off with pocket change ($16.7 Million) while making their friends rich with unproven Carbon Capture money ($2 Billion), friends are hard to come buy, peasants are a dime a dozen.”
When Premier Ed Stelmach also now says “there is no crisis in health care” — his legislature mantra last week — he’s speaking against the direct experience of thousands of Albertans. http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/phoney+news+becomes+good+news/3950143/story.html
All C. difficile outbreaks and related deaths at all hopsitals must be immediately reported…
C. difficile breaks out at B.C. hospital. A previous C. difficile outbreak at the hospital ended last summer, involving a total of 49 hospital acquired cases.In two of those cases, C. difficile was attributed to the death of the patient and in another two cases C. difficile was a contributing factor. All patients had underlying conditions. Housekeeping was a factor in the previous outbreak, but Marshall explained that the current situation has been attributed to a hand hygiene issue.Read more: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01/03/b-c-hospital-declares-c-difficile-outbreak/#ixzz1A31azxi7
December 7, 2010
TI’s Global Corruption Barometer included poll results suggesting that 62 per cent of Canadians believed corruption has increased over the past three years, and almost three-quarters (74 per cent) didn’t think governments were doing enough to crack down. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Majority+Canadians+think+corruption+rise+German+poll/3952875/story.html
CP MONTREAL – Two companies linked to Quebec’s construction scandals have pleaded guilty to tax evasion. The Canada Revenue Agency had filed charges against two companies for which Tony Accurso is listed as an administrator: Constructions Louisbourg Ltd. and Simard-Beaudry Construction Inc. Both firms avoided trial today by pleading guilty in a Laval, Que., courtroom. They admitted to improperly claiming $19 million in business expenses between 2003 and 2008, as a result failing to pay $4 million in taxes. But the two companies now owe a total of $8.26 million in fines and back taxes. They are accused of using shady accounting practices, including falsified records and using fake bills.
Albertan solicitor general attempts to quash the citizens democratic rights to complain. https://thenonconformer.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/25147/
December 2, 2010
The confirmed tax payer’s money abuses, wastes wastes even on the G8, as the G20 tab comes as no surprise to me even.
2009 Budget of the Canadian Federal Government … Total revenue, C$224.9 billion‡. Total expenditures, C$258.6 billion. Program Spending, C$229.1 billion . Debt payment, C$29.5 billion …. The federal budget included $40 billion in stimulus and $20 billion in personal income tax cuts. even $7.8 billion to build quality housing, stimulate construction and enhance energy efficiency.
In Budget 2007, the Government announced a seven-year, $33 billion plan to fund projects such as roads and highways, public transit, bridges and sewers. Federal funding for infrastructure in 2009 will rise to a record $6 billion–double what it was last year. Expanding and accelerating the recent historic federal investment in infrastructure with almost $12 billion in new infrastructure stimulus funding for roads, bridges, broadband internet access, electronic health records, laboratories and border crossings across the country. Of this C$12 billion, just under a half is going to upgrading and replacing infrastructure. In 2010 Canada’s FAILED $4-billion infrastructure stimulus program was launched with a single focus in mind: creating jobs.
.The federal government last year spent $8.2 billion, 4 % on professional services, from architects to lawyers to engineers to management consultants. Although professional services account for about one-third of all federal money spent on goods and services, the budget line has been expanding rapidly: up 132 per cent between 1998 and 2010. Federal spending on other suppliers increased 61 per cent during the same period. The federal government has purchased goods from the private sector for ages, but the practice of hiring people to do government work and supply services didn’t really accelerate until the 1980s. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Federal+government+lets+outsiders/3926527/story.html
It is clearly established, accepted fact by most people that those in leadership civil and public servants cops, teachers, ministers, politicians included are always to be exemplary in behavior, conduct and they do need to maintain their high standards even out of their working hours, thus to do so they are also to be exemplary judged, prosecuted for their own wrong doings with a higher standard over those of us ordinary folks.
They are too often still covering up for their own again. Decades and decades later the police are still covering up for their own again and again but the police are not the only bad professionals who do this these days as well, so do the Hospitals, doctors, nurses, civil and public servants, governments… When it comes to dealing with the rightful needs, complaints of the ordinary citizens our Canadian civil and public servants, politicians and their representatives too, and most church pastors now too, they are still mostly unacceptable liars and PRETENDERS, LAZY, GOOD FOR NOTHING PERSONS, and that has been mostly my undeniable experiences the last 4 decades now too.. What should not come as a surprise to anyone in Canada is how many of the cops still do drink and drive drunk next still.. RCMP included, and why so many cops do not prosecute any other drunk drivers even all year.. and what else in the unacceptable perversities? https://thenonconformer.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/they-are-covering-up-for-their-own-again/