Canadians should demand better by real drug enforcement and also demand drug addiction-prevention and treatment.
The Highlights includes concerns about pot shrinking the brains of teenagers, an, increases in drug-impaired drivers, severe personality changes, lack of productivity, birth defects, workplace absences, domestic violence and health problems
Marijuana refers to the dried leaves, flowers, stems, and seeds from the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa. The plant contains the mind-altering chemical delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other related compounds. Extracts with high amounts of THC can also be made from the cannabis plant The users are hurting themselves firstly..
SHORT-TERM EFFECTS of marijuana
- Sensory distortion
- increased Anxiety
- Poor coordination of movement
- Lowered reaction time
- After an initial “up,” the user feels sleepy or severely depressed
- Increased heartbeat (and risk of heart attack)
LONG-term effects of marijuana
- Reduced resistance to common illnesses (colds, bronchitis, etc.)
- Suppression of the immune system
- Growth disorders
- Increase of abnormally structured cells in the body
- Reduction of male sex hormones
- Rapid destruction of lung fibers and lesions (injuries) to the brain could be permanent
- Reduced sexual capacity
- Study difficulties: reduced ability to learn and retain information
- Apathy, drowsiness, lack of motivation
- Personality and mood changes
- Inability to understand things clearly
Long-term marijuana use has been linked to mental illness in some users, such as:
- temporary hallucinations—sensations and images that seem real though they are not
- temporary paranoia—extreme and unreasonable distrust of others
- worsening symptoms in patients with schizophrenia (a severe mental disorder with symptoms such as hallucinations, paranoia, and disorganized thinking)
Marijuana use has also been linked to other mental health problems, such as:
- Severe depression
- Incrased anxiety
- suicidal thoughts among teens
- more relationship problems
A study of 129 college students found that, among those who smoked the drug at least twenty-seven of the thirty days before being surveyed, critical skills related to attention, memory and learning were seriously diminished. Students who use marijuana have lower grades and are less likely to get into college than nonsmokers. They simply do not have the same abilities to remember and organize information compared to those who do not use these substances.
A study of postal workers found that employees who tested positive for marijuana had 55% more accidents, 85% more injuries and a 75% increase in being absent from work.
Because a tolerance builds up, marijuana can lead users to consume stronger drugs to achieve the same high. The vast majority of cocaine users (99.9%) began by first using a “gateway drug” like marijuana, cigarettes or alcohol
Undeniably too many Drug abusers and addicts end up on social aid or may commit crime to buy drugs, legal or illegal, and any increase in users means potential increases in crime. The Crimes committed while under the influence of drugs will increase too. The sole response is not legalization but to do everything we can to prevent addiction.
Many people will tell you marijuana is not dangerous. Consider who is telling you that. Are these the same people who are using it or are trying to sell you some pot?
Drugs like alcohol too are essentially poisons. The negative side effects depend on amount taken
Yes many bad drugs have another liability: they directly affect the mind. They can distort the user’s perception of what is happening around him or her. As a result, the person’s actions may be odd, irrational, inappropriate and even destructive.
Marijuana smoke contains 50% to 70% more cancer-causing substances than tobacco smoke.
Cannabis is one of the few drugs which causes abnormal cell division which leads to severe hereditary defects
No medications are currently available to treat marijuana addiction directly