Rogers, one of the largest telecom companies in the country, has found a way to block our access to affordable mobile services. We’re now looking at a future where just three mobile telecom giants could control a monopoly of the Internet and phones services, holding back progress and innovation. This is totally unacceptable.
1. Canadians already do pay some of the highest cell phone fees and are forced into some of the worst contracts in the industrialized world.
2. Our broken cell phone market limits our use of mobile Internet technologies, and with it our creativity and entrepreneurship. Providing more choice for Canadians is crucial to innovation, and the success of our economy.
3. Canadians suffer from poor service because three big cell phone conglomerates control nearly 94% of the market
4. To make matters even worse, Rogers has come up with a plan to block our access to the few affordable mobile services that do exist by obtaining scarce wireless spectrum assets. Who next?
5. This will mean more control for Big Telecom and higher prices and less choice for you and your family.
6. The Rogers plan breaks Industry Canada rules because it grants the Big Telecom conglomerate access to wireless spectrum assets that were specifically set aside for new, more affordable telecom options for Canadians.
7. The Industry Minister, Christian Paradis, has the ability to enforce the government’s rules for cell phone service but so far he has falsely refused to do so.
8. Tens of thousands of Canadians have already told Industry Minister Paradis to stop Big Telecom from killing affordability in Canada’s mobile Internet and cell phone market