The non conformer's Canadian Weblog

November 25, 2009

The unemployed Haligonians are “no-good XXXXXXX” and what about bad RCMP, cops?

 

Now the rich Federal Conservative Tory MP Gerald  Keddy, who represents the riding of South Shore-St.Margaret’s, had been asked by a reporter whether he was employing migrant workers on the Christmas tree farm he runs with his family . Keddy said he didn’t, but that he wouldn’t criticize others for doing so because local people won’t do the work.  “Nova Scotians won’t do it — all those no-good bastards sitting on the sidewalk in Halifax that can’t get work,” The Federal Conservative Tory MP Gerald Keddy has apologized for saying unemployed Haligonians are “no-good bastards” because they won’t work on Christmas tree farms.  “These comments were insensitive”. `I would like to offer a sincere apology for remarks I made regarding the unemployed in Halifax,” “In no way did I mean to offend those who have lost their job due to the global recession, nor did I mean to suggest that anyone who is unemployed is not actively looking for employment.”

 But what did he now mean?

 

We are all sorry he got elected in the first place too//

Special unit will investigate possible police misconduct The Cape Breton Post SYDNEY — Nova Scotia Justice Minister Ross Landry says the province will set up an independent unit to investigate serious incidents of possible police misconduct. Landry said up to seven investigators will be employed by the unit, which will bring greater accountability and transparency to investigations involving police. Nova Scotia is consulting police agencies, interested groups and the other Atlantic provinces to develop a model for the unit, the Nova Scotia Department of Justice said Tuesday. Bob Purcell, a department official, said the unit which could be in place by spring 2010 will investigate incidents in which a person has been killed or injured by police. The investigative unit may also be responsible for probing similar incidents involving sheriffs or corrections officers in custody situations, although that has not yet been decided, said Purcell, executive director of the Department of Justice’s public safety and security division. The justice minister’s announcement received a guarded welcome Tuesday from a spokesman for the Wagmatcook First Nation band council, which has been demanding the long-awaited release of a report into the RCMP shooting death of a resident almost a year ago. Brian Arbuthnot, band director of operations, said he has not seen any details about how the investigative unit will operate but said it sounds like a positive step. John Simon died in a Baddeck hospital about three hours after being shot by an RCMP officer at a home on the reserve on Dec. 2. Last month, officials from the band council held a press conference in Halifax to air their concerns about delays in the release of a Halifax Regional Police investigative report on the death. Arbuthnot said an independent unit could possibly complete investigations and issue reports more quickly, but he noted on the other hand, there are many factors to consider in any shooting death.  The public prosecutor’s office also plays a role, he noted. “I don’t want to sound too pessimistic about it. I think it makes sense to do it but I guess they say the proof is in the pudding and let’s see where it goes from here.” Chief Myles Burke of the Cape Breton Regional Police Service said right now, police departments in Nova Scotia dealing with a serious incident involving one of their own typically call on other departments to do an investigation. “While I will say it worked, some of the challenges it has for the chiefs are you still have that question for the public dealing with accountability and independence,” said Burke, who has conducted such investigations. “And there is a very significant cost to the municipal units in relation to these investigations. They are very expensive and they are time-consuming.” The Nova Scotia Chiefs of Police Association supports the path the province is taking and Burke said personally supports it. Burke said the issue of whether investigations would proceed more quickly is questionable considering that investigators must sometimes wait for lab reports   http://www.capebretonpost.com/index.cfm?sid=305804&sc=145

and does that inlude the bad RCMP?

AND WHAT NEXT CAN WE EXPECT?   It is billed by the London Police Department Chief as “the best (shooting) range in Ontario.” At $22 million, it is certainly modern but one of the features might sit poorly with judges and civil libertarians.  While police can shoot a fleeing suspect that presents an imminent threat to the public, it is relatively rare in most crimes and raises obvious questions under Tennessee v. Garner. The entire project will ultimately cost $32 million and the facility’s gun range is billed as training officers to do a range of shooting, 
http://jonathanturley.org/2009/12/09/canadian-police-department-builds-new-firing-range-that-helps-train-officers-how-to-shoot-fleeing-suspects/  

Meanwhile  a Toronto doctor is facing a disciplinary hearing over allegations he approved special meal allowances for people on welfare and disability programs according to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.  Dr. Roland Wong,  said he continues to approve applications for the special diet but only if he believes patients have an underlying medical condition that qualifies them for the financial supplement.  “Today, I signed maybe five, four,” he said. “Sometimes more, depends.”  He accused the auditor general of having a very “slanted view” of the program, and suggested he should be looking instead at the woefully inadequate support payments paid to people in need.  Wong said he wasn’t overly concerned about the disciplinary hearing because it was based on a complaint laid against him by a municipal councillor.  “This is a case of politicians against a physician, not the patient against the physician,” he said.  The Special Diet Allowance provides up to $250 per month to a person on social assistance who requires special foods for such conditions as diabetes.  Councillor Doug Holyday said  . “This can’t go on.”  http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/torsun/091209/canada/doc_faces_probe_over_dietary_payouts     Quebec and other provinces have no such adequate help program and why?

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: