The non conformer's Canadian Weblog

March 4, 2009

The unlawful use of taxpayer’s money.

 
A good election issue for the Opposition. 
 
0astephenharper2 
 
 Ex-Alberta MP Jaffer’s drug, Impaired driving  charges dropped..
https://thenonconformer.wordpress.com/2010/03/09/ex-alberta-mp-jaffers-drug-impaired-driving-charges-dropped/
 
The main rightful speculation today is that our new Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his cabinet, colleagues already are doing it, and will continue use taxpayer’s money to promote their own reelection and that of their party members, which brings me to my basic rightful complaint, that our elected representatives they all should stop using the tax payers resources, their staff, their offices to promote themselves, to have a good time for themselves too,  and now really start to offer real, decent governmental helps,  services to all Canadians solely. Really!
 
 
 
apple42ts
 
 
 
Ignatieff won’t bend on $3-billion ‘slush fund’ despite election threat  CP OTTAWA — Michael Ignatieff says he won’t give the government a blank cheque to spend $3 billion to stimulate the flagging economy, even though his refusal could plunge the country into an election.  The Liberal leader says he will not support creation of a special immediate-stimulus fund unless Prime Minister Stephen Harper agrees to provide some accountability for how the money is spent. Harper has warned that the special fund is a matter of confidence and opposition parties will find themselves in an election if they won’t support it. But Ignatieff dismisses such threats as “junk” and says Harper must talk to Liberals and work out some resolution to the matter rather than drive Parliament “off the cliff” as he nearly did last fall. Opposition parties were surprised last week to find provision for the special $3-billion fund in a spending estimates bill.
0rt

Last week, Harper warned that opposition refusal to approve creation of the fund would constitute defeat of his minority government. “These are confidence measures. We are not messing around with this,” the prime minister said. “If the opposition doesn’t like it, they will find themselves in an election.”  Ignatieff scoffed at Harper’s threat, calling his sudden return to “aggressive partisanship” in the midst of an economic crisis “ridiculous.”  Ignatieff reminded Harper that his ruthless partisanship nearly “drove this Parliament off the cliff” last December, when the three opposition parties forged an agreement to replace the government with a coalition. The prime minister staved off certain defeat only by suspending Parliament.  “We’re now in an economic crisis in which he’s got to walk back down the hill and talk to me. I am not writing a blank cheque on $3 billion. No Canadian would respect me if I did,” Ignatieff said.

c7r0

The Canadian Press   OTTAWA – Contrary to earlier claims, the subject of Listeria was broached by federal officials and Maple Leaf Foods prior to a deadly outbreak last summer that was linked to tainted meat products, documents show.  Handwritten notes from a July 24, 2008, meeting indicate officials from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Maple Leaf discussed “food safety in relation to Listeria,” although no details about the substance of the talks were available.  The discussion took place roughly two weeks before tests linked the company’s luncheon meats to the outbreak.  Both sides had previously denied that the subject of Listeria came up at the meeting. On Tuesday, they acknowledged that it did come up, but said earlier denials were made in reference to discussion of the listeriosis outbreak itself.  Initially, they said CFIA executive vice-president Brian Evans and Maple Leaf executive Rory McAlpine discussed only the company’s hog and pork operations and trade issues.  But notes from the July meeting, obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act, show that while Evans and McAlpine did talk about hog and pork operations, they also discussed “food safety in relation to Listeria.”  Further information is blanked out in the documents released by the CFIA. 

 

 00aliars

Carney Considers Steps as Depth of Canada Slump Defies Forecast  The Bank of Canada’s decision to cut interest rates to almost zero and consider extraordinary steps to boost credit raises new concerns that the country’s recession won’t be as mild and short as policy makers predicted.  Governor Mark Carney yesterday lowered the rate on overnight loans between commercial banks to 0.5 percent from 1 percent and said he may reduce it again. “Carney and his team admitted that the recession in Canada and elsewhere is worse than they were predicting just a month ago,”
 
 

 

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.